Do you want to earn more money for your household? Whether you’re a mom, dad, teenager, or grandparent, you can actually make money online working from home. This article will show you 16 legitimate ways to make money from home, working either part time or full time. We hope you find a great job you’ll enjoy.
1. Website testing
Expected earnings: up to $30 / hour
Companies rely on online user testing to improve their website designs, marketing materials, and user flows. Being a website tester is one of the easiest and most enjoyable ways to earn money from home. All you’ll need is a laptop or desktop computer with a camera and microphone.
When you sign up to be a website tester, you’ll go through a brief screening process before each test to determine if you are the target demographic. During the test, you’ll be given a task like “View this website and tell me what you think it does”. Your screen and audio are recorded while you complete the task. Companies will often test new designs and pages they are experimenting with.
Most websites tests last a maximum of 20 minutes and pay you $10 per session. Payments get sent to your PayPal account. You can realistically make several hundred dollars per month on a number of testing sites if you provide good feedback.
You’ll receive emails over time when there are new opportunities to test. You’ll want to act quickly when new testing opportunities arise because these slots fill up quickly.
Sign up for these legitimate User Testing Websites:
- UserTesting – $10 / 20 minute test
- Userlytics – $10 / 20 minute test
- TryMyUI – $10 / 20 minute test
- TestingTime – an option for international users. Earn up to € 50 per hour.
Expected earnings: $20 – $50 per hour
Freelancing means doing small projects for clients, either paid hourly or for specific milestones. Doing freelance work can greatly increase your income. Are you a stay at home mom with an English degree or a someone with excellent writing or copywriting skills?
Reputable sites like Upwork have thousands of employers looking to hire for all kinds of tasks from technology article writing to copywriting to illustration and graphic design. Get paid for every single article you write. Build a great reputation and you can turn this into a full-time job.
Try these great websites for find freelancing gigs:
3. Pet Sitting for Moms
Expected earnings: $40 / night to board a dog. $20 / walk
Many pet owners need someone to watch their pets while they travel or go to work. Rover.com and DogVacay.com are great sites that will allow you create your profile and set your prices. These services are especially great for stay at home moms who live in a populated area. You can earn money either boarding a dog in your home, or walking a dog. You can potentially earn hundreds of dollars per month.
Expected returns: highly variable. Earn up to $25 per 1000 page views
While blogging takes a lot of time and effort, once you get the ball rolling, you can drive a lot of passive income for yourself and your family. How it works:
- You research keywords that people search for on Google that don’t yet have great content. Try https://ahrefs.com/ for a great keyword research tool.
- You buy a domain name and create a blog for it.
- You create great content for your target keywords, promote your content on social media, and hustle to create backlinks. Backlinks are links on other blogs back to your site. The more backlinks you have, the more awesome Google thinks your content is.
- Google crawls (ie. visits) your site and indexes it. Over time, your content will show up in search results.
- Google sends you free traffic.
- You monetize it with display ads, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and direct selling of digital and physical goods.
Many successful blogs earn tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars per month.
Popular blogging services include:
- Blogger: free, owned by Google, but limited customization ability.
- WordPress.com: $48 / year for a custom domain, great for newbies but expensive. To monetize your traffic and remove WordPress branding will cost $300 / year.
- [RECOMMENDED] Host your own WordPress at Bluehost.com: $3.95 / month, easy setup, and lots of control over your blogs look and feel.
To be successful at blogging, you’ll need to work not just hard, but smart. Stay tuned for more great resources from us on being a successful blogger.
Expected earnings: $20 / hour
There’s a large demand in all parts of the world for great tutors. You can teach students at all levels from your home by becoming an online tutor on websites like Chegg Tutors.
6. Become a Virtual Assistant
Expected earnings: $16.50 / hour (median)
Virtual assistants (VAs) do everything from doing internet research to scheduling appointments, checking emails and making travel plans. High-end earners can command $50-$100 an hour. Here’s a list of 10 reputable virtual assistant websites:
- Time Etc. – Get paid from $11 to $16 per hour to complete various tasks for clients.
- Fancy Hands – This company hires virtual assistants to complete a variety of tasks. Most tasks pay anywhere between $2.50 to $7 per task and go up from there.
- Zirtual – Unlike most other services, Zirtual Assistants are full time employees that work from 9AM–6PM each weekday. Starting base pay is $11/hr with opportunities for growth. Zirtual only hires in the US, but includes benefits like medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Lifebushido – This well-known company hires virtual assistants to work from home. You can work from 5 to 20 hours per week from anywhere in the world.
- Assistant Match – Earn from $12 – $15 per hour with the potential to make up to $20-$25 per hour with graphic design experience.
- Belay Solutions – This company hires executive virtual assistants that work remotely from home to provide assitance to one or two business clients at a time.
- Office 88 – Join Office 88 to work as a virtual assistant from home on tasks like web design, graphic design, scheduling, office assistance, or translating/proofreading.
- Virtual Office VA – This company hires virtual assistants that seek out real estate leads. You will contact the leads asking for information about the property. Starting pay is $9 to $10 an hour depending on experience. Pay is weekly.
- Virtual Gal Friday – Apply as a work from home as a virtual assistant across a variety of task categories.
- Upwork This a freelance site where you can also find virtual assistant jobs. Set up a profile, post your abilities, and search for new contracts all form the site. You can offer your services for a fixed hourly price, or for the completion of milestones you agree upon with your client.
7. Examine search engines
Expected earnings: $13.50 / hour
A number of companies will pay you to evaluate search engines by conducting research on predefined search queries, analyzing them, and providing feedback for search engines. 3 reputable search engine evaluation companies are:
8. Content Marketing
Expected earnings: highly variable. Earn 1% – 10% of revenue from products sold
If you already have a blog on something that interests you, turn it into a money maker.
Rent your things
9. Rent Your Automobile
Expected earnings: Average car owner earns on Turo earn $600 / month
10. Rent your parking space
Expected earnings: highly variable. Boston suburbs earn $2.75 / day, San Francisco earns $18 – $40 / day
If you don’t use your parking spot during your working hours, consider renting it out on Craigslist, or on one of the reputable parking rental websites below.
Just Park (U.K. and U.S.)
Just Park (formerly ParkatmyHouse) allows users to search for a space for any number of hours or days, book the space, and park.
To list your space, first you create a listing with an image and driving instructions if necessary. You can decide whether you want to allow instant bookings or want to manually approve requests. You can also set your availability schedule, plan a payment method and get started.
JustPark adds a 25% service fee on top of the rate you set (by day, week or month). JustPark advertises that the service is still 60% cheaper than on-street parking, with central London spots available for £8 ($12.50) per 24-hour period. Daily spots in San Francisco tend to be in the $18-40 range, while spots in Chicago go for less than $10 per day. Just Park focuses on the U.K., but also offers U.S. options in major metropolitan areas like San Francisco.
The SPOT app for iOS offers “parking freedom” in a number of U.S. cities including Los Angeles, Miami, Boston, Chicago, Washington D.C., and San Francisco.
To use it, just upload information about your parking space, a photo, description and your price. Spots go for as low as $2.75 per day in some Boston areas, while more centrally located spots range up to $19 or so for a day. Set your parking spots availability and you’ll be earning extra money from your parking space in no time.
11. Rent Your Clothes Online
Expected earnings: highly variable. Some earn $50 per dress per day
If you have a closet full of clothes that you haven’t worn in a long time, rent them out. Reputable sites for renting your clothes include:
If your clothes don’t fit your lifestyle or body any more, and you can also sell them in a garage sale or online at sites like eBay.
12. Paid Surveys
Expected earnings: Up to $50 / month
There are a large number of websites that will pay for you to complete surveys. Yes, you can actually make money giving your two cents. We recommend trying out these reputable paid survey websites:
13. Sell Your Stuff Online
Expected earnings: highly variable
If you don’t want to have a garage sale, or you only have a few nice things to sell, consider posting your things on eBay, Craigslist, and Facebook marketplace.
On eBay, sometimes the bidding will help drive up the price on your goods. You may earn more than you expect.
14. Download and install consumer research apps
Expected earning: $50 / year
A lot of companies pay you for installing their apps. Moreover, you get paid for each month the apps are installed on your phone. These apps run in the background and collect data about your shopping habits. A little weird, but it’s free money, and the information is ultimately anonymized. Some of these sites include:
- Nielsen Mobile Panel – From the people that run Nielsen TV ratings, the Nielsen mobile app rewards you for using your mobile device. You can earn up to $50 a year.
- MobileXpression – Install this app and you’ll be eligible to win prizes each week. You get to play an instant rewards game by participating in market research.
15. Sell Lesson Plans
Expected earnings: highly variable
Have a soft corner for academic study? Sell your lesson plans, especially to new teachers or first-year teachers.
Teachers Pay Teachers is a market of educators, where you can sell and share your teaching resources. Over 300 teachers have become millionaires from the service.
16. Amazon Mechanical Turk
Expected earnings: $2 / hour (median) up to $7.25 / hour (top 4%)
Companies use Amazon Mechanical Turk to get humans to complete tons of microtasks that require human interaction. You can work from home with flexible hours, but your earnings may be lower than from other services above.
Here are some examples of tasks workers have completed:
- See if a certain website is suitable for general audiences.
- Find a product number from an image.
- Rate search results for certain keywords.
- See if two products are the same.
- Label and categorize different products or images.
- Describe the tone of an article.
- Translate a paragraph from one language to another.
We hope this list of online jobs for moms, teenagers, and anyone looking to earn extra money was useful for you. Have any other suggestions for smart ways to earn money from home? Reach out to us @SmartParentBlog